Monday, October 22, 2012

Science experiment for two, please!

This morning the kids weren't especially fussy, but we've been cooped up in the house for 4 or 5 days now due to runny noses and coughs that we don't want to spread. As such, I was dying for something to do today other than reading the same books again, building the same 10 puzzles, and singing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" for the fifth time today (yes, we are Tigers fans!).

So my first thought this morning was my "kids fun" board on Pinterest. Thankfully, one of the first things I found seemed simple enough, not tons of mess, and I had everything already in the house...



So two pie plates, a bottle of vinegar, box of food coloring, box of baking soda, and four mason jars later, we were off to a great experiment.

As I told Mitch as I sent him some pictures of their creations, it's the quietest thirty minutes of my day. That are FASCINATED. It's interesting too, how they play differently. Elianna does the experiment as its supposed to go: take a dropper full of colored vinegar and make little droplets onto the baking soda. Jameson on the other hand takes spoonfuls of baking soda and drops it into the mason jars of vinegar to see the large splash and bubbling of the ingredients affecting one another.

As Jameson is playing he says, "its raining mommy, its raining!"
As Elianna is playing she says, "no jay I'm cooking. I'm just a chef right now..."

So thank you Pinterest for the inspiration, thank you Eli & Jay for your color commentary, and thank you Grandpa Young for giving our kids the interest in learning and experimenting with new things. Maybe we have the next generation of scientist on our hands!







No comments:

Post a Comment