Monday, August 13, 2012

What I've been reading recently...

A friend of mine posted on Instagram last week that she goes to her local library once a week and checks out a book. Hmmm, I thought to myself, I really need to start doing this more often. Two reasons came to mind: its a free resource that we as tax payers help support/pay for, and I desperately need to start reading more. I'm not sure why, my mom loves to read, but I've never been "bitten" by the reading bug. Its one of the things I'm most embarrassed about. I'd love to be known as an avid reader like my sister-in-law Mindelynn or my Grandma Favazza. Anyhow...

This is what I picked up when the kid and I took a trip to the library last week for story-time and to get my first Pennsylvania library card:


I picked up the book, started it during nap time that day and completed it during nap time the next day. It was soooo good, could.not.put.it.down.good! I read "Redeeming Love" by the same author last winter and that book was also could.not.put.it.down.good! What I loved most about this book wasn't the Christianese take on pregnancy and abortion it had, but that it looked at the effects of unwanted pregnancy and abortion from many different angles, women that have had them, doctors that have preformed them, husbands that have held the hand of their wives as they have one. The author also touched on what the Supreme Court has voted on in regards to abortions, the information that is given to a pregnant mom at the these clinics, etc. All that to say, either aisle of the abortion issue that you may stand on, Atonement Child is worth your time. Great read! Two thumbs way up!

P.S. Be sure to stop by the drugstore for a box of tissues on your way home from the library. You're going to need it for this book.

A fictional story based off the Old Testament character, Hosea..
A must read!

2 comments:

  1. So... I am a fan of hers.... I've actually not read all of her work, but I have read these two... my absolute favorite is The Last Sin Eater. I would HIGHLY recommend it. So much power and beauty in that story... hopefully your library has it. Read on, sista!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked up "and the Shofar Blew" by her. I think it focuses on Pastor's Wives and the struggle of keeping it all togther.

    I'm fairly certain my library has The Last Sin Eater. That will be my next pick.

    I am also reading a historical Fiction book called "Wedded to War." So far, really enjoying it. Its about an afluent girl during civil war times that decides to give up marriage proposals do go on the front lines and be a nurse during the civil war, despite what society says about afluent women working with sick and dying men. The book is written by a Taylor University grad.

    Anyway, miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete