Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Uncle Bradley

I know most of you are going to think I'm crazy. I can already here the "eww, really?" and feel the judgement... It's okay, I can take it...

You see, my brother Bradley is five years my younger. He was always, well, a pain. Typical younger brother wanting to hang with his big sister. Sometimes I would give in and we'd play "school" but most of my teen years, I tried to avoid the youngest Favazza.

When we moved back to America in 2001 for me to finish high school, Bradley and I began to bond on our drives back and forth to school (I just got my license at 18). I'd often pick up novelty ice creams from the vending machine at school, or Starbucks for our drives home. We bonded, me 18, he 13 and an awkward 8th grader.

Fast forward 5 years, Mitch and I were married in 2006. Suddenly Bradley became the missionary kid without a home during college. I had been brought in by a wonderful family, the Taylors in Virginia during my Taylor University years, it was my turn to do the same. The summers, fall breaks, and spring breaks between 2007-2010, Brad spent with Mitch and I in Wheaton.

It was during those years, that Elianna and Jameson were both born.

Here's where I expect the ewwws!

Bradley was home for spring break from Taylor (yes, we went to the same tiny university, another bonding moment!) and I was very pregnant and very ready to get my first child OUT! Bradley spent his spring break cleaning my house, helping me do baby girl laundry, and listening to me complain about how uncomfortable I was. He even sat with me and watched "A Baby Story" on TLC while I cried in anticipation of what was to come.

Our mom was expected to arrive from Germany (missionaries) on Friday at midnight. I turned 39 weeks  pregnant on Saturday and Bradley was going back to school on Sunday. I was bummed he wouldn't be there to meet his first niece, but he had to get back to finish out his semester.

Well God must have wanted Uncle Brad to meet our sweet baby girl because my water broke at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday. Bradley came to the hospital with us and yes, was IN THE ROOM with us throughout the labor and delivery (standing at my head wtih the computer). The room was a full house including Mitch, my mom, Dar (my bestie!), Bradley, and my dad on Skype from Germany. The doctor said he'd never seen anything like it.

Brad had to go back to TU the next day but he met his niece and then spent the whole summer snuggling her, rocking her, changing her poppy diapers, the list goes on. He was (is) incredible!

I give all this background to say, Elianna has always had an unusually close bond with her uncle. I think its because they spent so much of her first months together.

My brother is currently working in Boston but was visiting his new bride, at their home in Maryland this weekend. We met up with Uncle Bradley and Aunt Sarah for dinner last night. Elianna could hardly stand the anticipation of seeing Uncle Bradley. When he arrived at the restaurant she ran across the room screaming, "UNCLE BRADLEY, UNCLE BRADLEY, UNCLE BRADLEY!!!!!!!!!"

The following pictures depict only a bit of her excitement (sorry for the blurriness, like I said, she was excited).


Thrilled to be back in Uncle Bradley's arms!
So thanks Uncle Bradley, for loving on your niece (and nephew), for being so sacrificial, for bringing joy to our family. We love you! Hurry home so we can see you more often!

2 comments:

  1. I knew that boy was special when he was just a little kid. So glad he has turned into an incredible young man and uncle to two beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete