Case in point. I went to Walmart on Saturday to get milk and bananas as we go through both at an incredible rate in our house. Jameson eats a banana every morning and Mitch and I often snack on them as a healthy go to, in between meals or paired with a Cinch Shake for lunch after a workout. So I bought a half-dozen bananas on Saturday, went to get one for Jameson this morning and they were completely bad on the bottom of every one of them, totally black and smashed and nasty.
So naturally, my first inclination was to make banana bread. But, Mitch and I have really been trying to workout regularly and eat healthier, less processed food since moving to Waynesboro. And if you know anything about banana bread, its super unhealthy for you due to the white flour and lots of sugar.
I researched Google a bit and found this recipe, though I modified it to meet our likes and wants.
Ingredients:
3/4 C Sugar (or Splenda)
3/4 C Flax Seed Meal
5 Bananas, mashed
1/4 C Low fat Milk
1/4 C Low fat Sour Cream
2 tsp Egg Whites
3 Tbsp Chia Seeds (optional, I like the extra fiber)
2 C Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 C nuts (optional)
Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a bread loaf pan by spraying it with cooking spray/oil.
- Mix sugar, flax seed, bananas, milk, sour cream, eggs, and chia seeds together in one bowl until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures until moistened.
- Pour into bread loaf pan.
- Sprinkle nuts on top if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for an hour to 70 minutes, checking regularly so it doesn't over bake.
- Remove from oven and let rest/cool before removing from pan and slicing.
- Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment