Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Kickin' Salsa & Guac

I know, I know. Everyone says they have the best salsa and guacamole recipes, and maybe their's are good, but I promise, this (especially the guac) is great! My friend back in Chicago made this for me right before I left town. Her Latino friend taught her the "family secrets" of salsa and guacamole. Today, I let the family secret out of the bag.
Here they are:

Tomato-based Salsa

Ingredients

8 Tomatoes (medium to large)
1/2 C Water
2 Jalapenos OR 3 Serrano Peppers (Serranos are preferred but I couldn't find them in Waynesboro)
2 Cloves garlic
3 tsp. Salt
1 Onion, diced
Handful of cilantro, optional

Directions


  1. In a large soup pot, over medium-high heat on stove, place tomatoes (cut out stem), 2 whole jalapenos (just cut off top, don't seed), and 1/2 cup water. Let simmer on the stove for minimum 20 minutes. This allows the tomatoes and jalapenos to really break down and soften.
  2. Remove from stove and drain excess water.
  3. Place the tomatoes and jalapenos into a blended (careful as they are still very warm).
  4. Add two cloves of garlic and salt.
  5. Blend until smooth (unless you like chunky salsa).
  6. Finely dice the onion (any color you prefer), and place into a large serving bowl.
  7. Pour hot tomato mixture over the raw onions and mix well. 
  8. Add cilantro if desired, and more salt to taste.
  9. Stir and serve warm or place in the fridge if you prefer it cold.
  10. Enjoy!

Out of this world Guacamole

Ingredients

3 Avocados
1 Serrano pepper OR 1/2 Jalapeno (whole, top cut off)
2 tsp. Salt
1 Lime, juiced
1/3 Onion, rough chop
2 Cloves garlic
1/3 bunch cilantro, optional
Water, as needed

Directions

  1. Place all ingredients into a blender.
  2. Add 1/3 cup water and blended. 
  3. Stop and stir as needed (you will probably need to 3 or 4 times to make sure its well incorporated).
  4. Add water as needed to form a creamy consistency.
  5. Remove, add salt to taste.
  6. Serve immediately.
  7. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment