Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Potty Trained at 21 months!


While in Europe earlier this month Elianna was consistently waking in the morning with her diaper half off or telling me "poo-poo" after she had gone #2. So I figured potty training should start as soon as we got back on US soil.

Last week, after arriving home from our youth group winter retreat, we were going to begin. I had bought a baby doll that drinks water and pees to help explain the process with Elianna. I also decided to go the method of actually using the big potty, not a small toddler-sized potty.

Day one: We sat for an hour before our first pee. I finally got Elmo on the portable DVD player to see if that would help distract her. It worked... too well. She barely noticed and didn't care that she had just gone potty. Elmo was on and that took precedent... So away went Elmo. She went a total of 3 times that day with 3 accidents.

Day two-four: Much the same as the first day. Long periods of sitting on the potty. Some accidents, some successes.

Day five: She tried going when she woke up but nothing happened. Within the next two hours she had 5 accidents (3 pee, 2 poo). Each time, as soon as she had made a mistake she looked down and exclaimed, "no-no" to herself. Frustrated, I put her down for a nap. Surprisingly she woke up dry and then went to the potty chair immediately. That was over 2 days ago and we haven't had an accident since.

Day 6: She went poo-poo for the first time on her own!

Day 7 (today): Elianna came up to me this morning with a concerned face and said, "POTTY!" We ran to the potty chair, the whole time I'm thinking she already went #2. Upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised to find her dry. She went potty, both kinds, within 30 seconds! She initiated potty two other times this morning too.

We have yet to venture out of the house with big girl panties but hope to do that tonight for youth group. An extra set of clothes will definitely be in hand. A special thanks to my sister-in-law Karissa who took lots of calls and texts from this concerned and confused mom.

Way to go Elibean, YOU DID IT!

1 comment: